Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's As If I Don't Exist

I have either been Terminated or Totally Recalled!

In a posting that discusses taxation of 501(c)4 organizations (civic organizations devoted to charitable, educational or recreational purposes), Linda Beale goes off on a tangent. I traded posts several times on it and had an entry that remained for about 12 hours. Then, all of a sudden my final post disappeared. I don't believe I was rude or obnoxious but I have all of the entries saved. You can read all entries but my final one here.
Here is my final response:

Linda

I am not a ‘fan’ of smear campaigns, but I am rather fanatical about the 1st amendment. From this post and others similar in nature, I am inclined to believe that you wish these people weren’t allowed to say what they have to say and that the tax code may be a viable way in which to shut them up. Otherwise, in issues like this you may balance your opinion with equal criticism of PAC groups such as Brave New PAC which disputes much of John McCain’s POW experience. As an aside, I believe Philip Butler, the man who served with McCain and used in the ad poses a serious problem for Obama. Whether true or not, I believe many Americans will find Butler’s ad in poor taste, but I would rather Butler have the freedom to state his claims.

I don’t object to your word choice. I only mentioned it because language such as ‘anti-progressive’ ‘right-wing’ ‘Bush regime’ ‘Rovian’ ‘swift boat’ are typically used by people who haven’t exercised a ‘careful weighing of the facts’. Yet you write of William Ayers of the Weatherman as if that organization is your garden variety civic organization. You also stress ‘long ago’ in an apparent attempt to minimize the impact of the Weatherman though from Ayers own statements he is unrepentant and believes the group didn’t go ‘far enough’. You then feel it necessary to state that Obama has in no way indicated that he thinks violent action against the US is appropriate. That’s a relief. The terminology you chose leads me to believe that you are left of center, have long ago decided to back the Democratic nominee and will be critical of any tactics from those who oppose that nominee. All of that is perfectly acceptable, but again doesn’t ‘reflect a careful weighing of the facts’.

Specifically as for Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and others similar the IRS issues will always be of facts and circumstances. It could be argued that the Swift Boat Vets didn’t intend to engineer an election but to directly refute John Kerry’s 1971 testimony in which he said, “they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, tape wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the country side of South Vietnam”. It certainly seems Kerry may have ‘smeared’ them 33 years prior and they were only responding in a manner to educate people that they did not in fact commit the crimes of which Kerry accused them.

Once again, I appreciate your blog and find your non-political posts informative (I actually find your political posts both entertaining and informative, though not for the reasons you intend). I am, however, inclined to believe you have long ago made up your mind about this Presidential race as well as many other issues. Rather than drawing a conclusion from the information present, you seek to find information to support that conclusion.

Regards – Dave.


I don't know. It doesn't seem to be out of line. Here is a list of 501(c)4 organizations that have been accused of engaging in political campaigns on behalf of or in opposition to candidates for public office that Ms. Beale chose not to mention: MoveOn.org, Democratic Leadership Council, Brave New PAC, The Media Fund, America Coming Together and America Votes.

No comments: